Repairing your Furniture
Repairing Common Issues
Small chips, Dings, Water Marks, Scratches and Scuffs
The abrasive grits included in this kit are to be used sequentially to remove scratches, dings, dents and chips. Reference the chart below to understand which grit to begin with. Whichever grit you begin with, it is important to sequentially work through every grit to ensure all scratches are removed and the wood is polished to a smooth and scratch free appearance.
Sanding Out Defects (chips and scratches)
Follow the chart below to determine the defect and which grit to begin with. When in doubt, it is always safe to use the coarser grit (smaller number), it simply takes a little longer to sand the areas. Once you have sanded the surface up to 400 grit, simply apply a light coat of the included oil and wax blend.
Ironing out defects (dings and dents)
- Using a clean lint free cloth, dampen the cloth with clean water.
- Apply the wet cloth over only the dinged or dented area
- Using a common household iron (steam function off) on the highest setting
- Apply the iron to the cloth until it stops producing steam.
- Repeat steps 1-4 until the dinged area no longer improves.
- Buff the area with 400 grit sanding disk followed by steel wool. Use coarse grits as needed to blend out the ding if it does not completely steam out.
- Apply Oil and Wax finish as detailed below. Applying Oil and Wax Finish: Although the finish is nontoxic, it is always advisable to wear gloves when handling this product. Liberally apply the blend to the wood surface. Allow 30 minutes for the finish to penetrate. Wipe off any excess with a clean portion of the cloth. Buff the finish with steel wool after 24 hrs or as needed.
Caution: Dispose of oily rags and steel wool appropriately, never bunch them up, they are very combustible. Spreading the rags (single layer) outside on a concrete or stone surface will help it dry safely for disposal; it is dry once it feels brittle or leather like to the touch and ready for disposal.
Furniture Repair Kit
A repair kit is available for your convenience. Below is a list of all this items included in the kit. Aside from our special finish, all the items in this list can easily be purchased at your local hardware store. This kit includes the following items:
- 150 grit, 220 grit, 320 grit and 400 grit sandpaper disks
- #0000 steel wool pad.
- Lint Free Cloth Oil and Wax Blend
- Nitrile Gloves
- Print Instructions