If you’re looking for high-quality furniture in Columbus, Ohio, it’s best to start looking at high-end stores first. They likely have what you need, plus you have the option to customize some features.
We have narrowed down the selection to five stores. Some of them may not be entirely new to you as they are popular and have multiple stores across the country. The important thing here is knowing where to shop if you want to buy furniture from an upscale store in Columbus.
Ethan Allen is one of the most recognizable furniture stores in the United States–and it’s also among the largest, with multiple locations in the country and worldwide. It is considered a high-quality furniture brand known for creating pieces with impeccable construction and style.
The company manages its own workshops and makes about 75% of its products domestically. Around 25%, mainly case goods, are made in its facilities in Mexico and Honduras.
- Almost every Ethan Allen piece of furniture is customizable, which means you can make each piece your own. When it comes to custom upholstery, you’ll have a wide range of options, from cushion fillings and fabric to the most minute but defining details like tufting, nailheads, and welts. For the solid wood furniture, you’ll have the option to choose the wood texture, grain, and finish, including hardware finish and leg style.
- Ethan Allen offers design services. Visit the nearest Ethan Allen design center near you to get assistance with interior styling.
Things to consider:
- Ethan Allen’s beautiful, high-quality, and long-lasting furniture pieces start at a higher price point. A wooden bed frame could range between $1,200 to $5,000.
- Custom furniture might take some time to get to you.
With a history that goes back to 1902, Bassett Furniture is among the oldest furniture manufacturers in Virginia. The company is known for crafting high-quality furniture “full of American ingenuity.” Although Bassett’s furniture comes in varied styles, the design features lean primarily toward contemporary, rustic chic, and traditional.
Bassett Furniture makes 75% of its products in the country. Its BenchMade collection, for example, is built from harvested trees in the Appalachians, and the furniture details and finish are done by hand in Bassett and Martinsville, Virginia. Meanwhile, the leather and fabric for the upholstery are cut and sewn in North Carolina. Some of the furniture components are globally sourced, but Bassett continues to build and assemble furniture in its facilities.
- Bassett Furniture offers a wide range of prices, from medium to high-end.
- Its custom upholstery is top-notch, with more than 600 options for fabric and leather. Other customizable features are available, too. For Bassett recliners, for example, you can choose the arm, base, and back style.
- The company offers design consultation, which you can do virtually or in-store.
Things to consider:
- The price range is wide but starts at a higher price point than other brands. A wooden bed could range between $900 to $3,000.
- Custom furniture may take 30 days to complete, plus shipping.
Compared to Ethan Allen and Bassett Furniture, Arhaus is a much younger furniture company established in 1986. But it has grown into a powerhouse, with 79 locations across the United States as of 2021. Arhaus recently built a sprawling upholstery production facility and distribution center in North Carolina.
Arhaus partners with artisans worldwide to create high-quality furniture and décor that are beautiful, long-lasting, and sustainably sourced. Artisan partnerships, made through a strict code of conduct, could include rug weavers in India, upholstery makers in North Carolina, and woodworkers in Italy and Mexico.
- The company’s sustainability effort is pretty remarkable. Aside from using sustainably-sourced hardwood, Arhaus recycles and repurposes discarded plastic, leather, and metal. They also work with salvaged and reclaimed wood.
- The Arhaus website has a great user interface design, giving users an excellent online shopping experience. It’s clean, modern, and straightforward–and effectively highlights the features of each product. The website also provides a virtual store tour and room planner tool, which can help you visualize how Arhaus furniture will look in your home.
- Arhaus offers a wide range of prices.
Things to consider:
- Although the price range is wide, Arhaus furniture starts at a higher price point. A wooden bed could range between $2,000 to $4,000.
- Shipping and delivery may take some time.
Crate and Barrel
With more than 100 stores and multiple international franchise partners, Crate and Barrel is definitely one of the largest companies in the furniture industry. It’s known for curating high-quality furniture, home decor, and houseware with a distinctive aesthetic. Although its collections aren’t exactly locked into a single design category, its products are a mix between farmhouse chic and modern urban styles.
Crate and Barrel mostly don’t make their own furniture. Instead, the furniture pieces are sourced in the U.S. or imported overseas. But the company maintains partnerships with manufacturers that can provide products with uncompromised quality. The upholstered frames Crate and Barrel offers, for example, are handcrafted by family workshops that the company has been partners with for years.
- Crate and Barrel are pretty upfront with where its products come from. If you check online and click on a bed frame or a pillow case, you can immediately see the country of origin (or simply “imported”) on the products’ details.
- As with the other furniture brands mentioned, Crate and Barrel have a wide selection of furniture, decor, and houseware. The company also offers custom upholstery.
- Crate and Barrel offers a wide range of prices.
Things to consider:
- People who are particular about their carbon footprint might have second thoughts about buying products that travel far. Note that the company does have environmental initiatives.
- Depending on your location, some Crate and Barrel products may take some time to deliver.
- Some Crate and Barrel products are more accessible than others in terms of price. But some items, like wooden bed frames, skew a little higher and could range from $1,000 to $5,000.
T.Y. Fine Furniture
T.Y. Fine Furniture is a boutique furniture maker based in Columbus, Ohio. It’s much smaller than its contemporaries on this list, but the company can undoubtedly create furniture that is up to par with the highest quality standards. The furniture designs are varied but lean towards mid-century modern aesthetics and minimalism, with a touch of Asian-inspired style.
T.Y. Fine Furniture only uses the highest grade of material available in the market. The furniture is made from 100% natural solid wood that is locally sourced. Artisans handcraft each piece and use proprietary joint systems instead of metal screws. Traditional joinery allows easy assembly and is extremely strong and sturdy.
All furniture pieces from T.Y. Fine Furniture are hand-rubbed with an organic wood finish, made from a blend of 100% organic and food-grade ingredients.
- One of the advantages of shopping for furniture from a homegrown store is that the quality of the materials is more controlled. The artisans could go through an entire stack of wood just to select the best grade and color match before building your solid wood furniture.
- The furniture design is functional and versatile–each piece can easily complement any interior style.
- Every item can be easily customized to suit various needs without large custom furniture costs.
- T.Y. Fine Furniture can dramatically reduce the Carbon Footprint spent on making furniture because all the materials are locally sourced.
Things to consider:
- Each furniture piece is made to order, but it still ships in most cases in under 4 weeks! Take note that the items are all handcrafted to ensure quality.
- Prices come in a higher range. T.Y. Fine Furniture has heirloom quality, which means each piece is an investment. It’s built to last and doesn’t need to be replaced.
- Upholstered furniture is not in the catalog. But customization requests can be made and arranged.
High-End Furniture Stores, Are They Worth It?
High-end, name brand stores usually price products in a higher range because they offer quality and durability. These stores also tend to ship out longer than others because they don’t stock furniture. Or the customization process takes some time to complete.
To drive home the point, buying furniture from high-end stores might mean you need to be ready to invest–in return for assured quality. Waiting is also part of the process because good furniture takes longer to create or customize. You can always opt for fast furniture, and while it may look great for a brief period of time, the level of quality isn’t the same.
For more articles like this, check out: